As it’s Monday, especially a Bank Holiday Monday, we have our first round-up of the biggest news and events of the weekend.
- The Countdown to T-20 Final day is on. Lancashire will play Worcestershire and Sussex will play the winner of the Rain hit Nottinghamshire vs Somerset quarterfinal. (Live Coverage as I write is on Sky Sports Cricket)
- England bring James Vince into their squad for the 4th test as a back up for the injured Johnny Bairstow
- Liverpool and Chelsea kept up their 100% winning starts to the season beating Brighton and Newcastle respectively.
- Defending Champions Man City should only get a draw with Wolves (A team whose bubble I think will burst, but that is a story for another time)
- Leeds United, much to the ire of most of the country, have continued their wonderful start under Marcelo Bielsa and sit top of the championship.
- Gareth Southgate has said his England squad could contain “1 or 2 surprises” ahead of the start of the Nations League campaign
- Real Madrid and Barcelona both kept up their winning start to the league season.
- Bayern, PSG, and Juventus all win. Ruling those leagues other again until 19/20.
- The Youtube battle between KSI and Logan Paul went to a draw… of course
- NBA Star Kyrie Irving got back to his routes, becoming an official member of the Sioux Tribe, the same tribe as his mother.
- Kawhi Leonard has said he is “open to the idea” of staying in Toronto after his controversial offseason trade.
- With Preseason rolling on, Doug Pederson has given no indication who will get the start in the Wentz vs Foles debate.
- All-Pro Defensive End Aaron Donald should have make or breaks talks with Rams Ownership this week.
- Dallas Cowboys, where Blown out by the Arizona Cardinals in week three, whereas the Browns beat the Eagles 5-0 in a snorefest.
- F1 returned from its summer break this week, Sebastian winning at Spa to continue his rivalry with Lewis Hamilton who finished second.
- Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods have signed off on a Pay Per View Golf Extravaganza the winner will take home $9 million dollars from the Vegas match up.
- Veteran Detroit Red Wings Foward Henrik Zetterberg is still recovering from a back injury and may miss the start of the season.
- Erik Karlsson Trade Rumours just won’t go away, Vancouver is the latest team linked with the wantaway defensive star.
- Hayley Wickenheiser has been hired as the first ever Female NHL Executive starting her new role with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Kendrys Molina is on the verge of history as he looks for his 8th straight homer, an MLB record. The Bluejays Slugger is the hottest hitter in Baseball right now.
- Chicago Cubs keep their unbeaten run going since adding Daniel Murphy to their line up (Divisional Rival Pirates are still terrible)
- Matt Carpenter, the leagues unlikely MVP candidate, I am on board with him already. Tied the league record for single-game doubles when he hit 4 against the Rockies
And now for something completely different…
Scottish Football side Fort William FC scored twice for the first game this season. Sadly.. they conceded 8 taking their goal difference for the season to a whopping minus 52 and zero wins.
Spare a moment
Sadly, this is a story that you have probably all seen, but I wouldn’t be doing it justice if I didn’t mention it. The mass shooting in Jacksonville Florida at the Madden 19 tournament. Those kids were doing what some of us do every day playing games, games about the sports that we love. A friend of mine was unfortunate enough to be watching the live stream as it happened, all I can say is that it is truly haunting. Now, this isn’t the platform for a wide-ranging political statement, but there is clearly a problem that needs sorting out here. If kids can’t come together to celebrate sports that we all enjoy then something needs to be done. My thoughts are with the families of all of those involved.
That’s us for today… see you next Monday for the weekend roundup.