Firstly, sorry for the silence it has been a mental weekend at Unlikely Towers and we couldn’t get anything out yesterday. We are back to normal now though, we have the usual features for you to mull over and read up on. Enough about us let’s crack on with the things that you may have missed from the weekend.
- Watford upset unbeaten Tottenham to maintain their 100% record. Watford, who we thought would struggle this year find themselves in 4th place.
- As well as Watford, Chelsea and Liverpool kept up their 100% start and take up the top 2 places in the Premier League.
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Luka Modric and Mo Salah have been announced as the nominees for Fifa Player of the year.
- In the first Auld Firm Game of the season, Celtic ran out 1-0 winners over Rangers. (We will cover that game in more details in a Beginners guide)
- Speaking of Ronaldo, he is still yet to score a goal for Juventus, Max Allegri said that his star forward will need time to adjust
- As we covered earlier on, England opener Alastair Cook has called a day on his international career.
- England beat India by 60 runs in Southampton to take an unassailable 3-1 series lead.
- Former England opener Ben Duckett has signed domestically for Nottinghamshire.
- Afghanistan sealed a 2-1, one-day series, win of Ireland
- British Teenager Lando Norris will team Stoffel Vandoorne’s seat at McLaren next season.
- Reigning World Champion Lewis Hamilton extended his lead over Sebastien Vettel winning Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix.
- In qualifying, Kimi Raikkonen secured pole with the fastest lap in F1 history.
- Veteran Lee Westwood laughed of chances of being a wildcard Ryder Cup pick despite holding the lead in the last qualifying tournament
- Star Running Back Le’Veon Bell has still yet to report to the Steelers a week before the season is due to start.
- Raiders have released Wide Receiver Martavius Bryant ahead of his drugs hearing.
- Oakland Raiders have traded Khalil Mack to the Chicago Bears for 2 first round picks over the next 2 seasons.
- Vegas Golden Knights Defenceman Nate Schmidt has been suspended for 20 games following doping violations
- Columbus Blue Jackets Coach John Tortorella has said he isn’t worried about the contacts of Sergei Bobrovsky and Artermi Panarian as the season draws near.
- Cleaveland Indians player John Donaldson has been placed on the Disabled List ahead of a stint in rehab following his recent acquisition from the Blue Jays.
- Daniel Palka hit two home runs in the same at-bat. 4 pitches to be exact. His first was ruled a foul ball so Palka just did it again.
- Reports are coming out of Minnesota that the Timberwolves are looking to pick up Joakim Noah and Luol Deng.
- The story that just won’t go away, Toronto Raptors coaching staff say that Kawhi Leonard is looking good and ready in preseason workouts.
Spare a moment
Our thoughts are with the family of Jimmy McIlroy. The former Burnley and Northern Ireland footballer died over on August 20th but Burney put on a fitting tribute before the Manchester United. McIlroy is widely considered to be the clubs greatest ever player.
Something completely different
Football club Bristol Rovers have launched an investigation into all the televisions in the ground were changed to Babestation before their game against Crawley. Apparently, someone with a universal remote changed the SkyBox to the X Rated content.
Thanks for reading, we will be back with another round up next week. Anything you want us to bring up? Any feedback Email, Comment or Tweet as @unlikelydanblog