We are back with the usual weekend roundup, with the Nations League, the Test Match, the NFL season starting we have a lot to cover. So enough of the preamble let’s get to it. We have a few new additions, that we will go through at the end.
* Wales were beaten by a full strength Denmark team, which on the face of it does not seem too remarkable until to you realise that until 48 before the game all their senior players were on strike.
* England were beaten 2-1 by Spain, Scotland was embarrassed by Belgium and Northern Ireland lost to Bosnia in a poor weekend for the home nations.
* We are going to have a proper look at the first round of Nations League games in the coming days.
* Tottenham are on the trail of Ajax starlet Frenkie De Jong in what could be the biggest transfer of the January window.
* Surrey is closing in on taking the Division one County Championship crown after a stellar season and could wrap it up today.
* In his last game, Alastair Cook became the 5th highest ranked test run scorer of all time, overtaking Kumar Sangakkara
* Worcestershire will be without Ravi Ashwin and Martin Guptill for T20 finals day through injury.
* England Flanker Ben Shields looks set to miss the Autumn tests with a broken cheekbone.
* Billy Vunipola scored on his return as Saracens demolished the Bristol Bears.
* In the Southern Hemisphere, the Rugby championship started. Australia beat South Africa and New Zealand beat Argentina
* The first week of the NFL got off to a great start with the highest scoring week one in the Superbowl era including the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beating the New Orleans Saints 48-40
* The Cleveland Browns nearly won… well didn’t lose they tied with the Steelers 21 a piece after overtime
* The Anthem protests returned, on a smaller scale as Miami Dolphins Kenny Stills and Albert Wilson both took a knee before their game.
* Monday Night Football returns tonight with a doubleheader as the Lions take on the Jets and Oakland take on the Rams
* Over 200,000 Ferrari fans have signed a petition for the team to re-sign Kimi Raikkonen for next season.
* Haas boss Guenther Steiner has added fuel to the fire in the teams’ feud with Renault. Claiming the French team only complained about this team as they knew they couldn’t beat them on the track
* Jordan Speith could miss the PGA tour in the rain effected BWM championship is played over reduced holes.
* Tony Finau has been announced as the 4th and final wildcard pick for the US Ryder Cup team.
* Amir Khan made a successful return to the ring with a points victory over Samuel Vargas
* Errol Spence Jr and Terence Crawford continued their war of words adding fuel to the fire for a potential showdown.
* Novak Djokovic beat Juan Martin Del Potro in straight sets to win the US Open, is 14th Grand Slam.
* Serena Williams has been backed by the WTA after branding umpire Carlos Ramos a sexist following her loss in the US Open final.
* Max Pacioretty has been traded by the Montreal Canadiens to the Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki in Sunday’s NHL Draft
* Boston Bruins will be without stars Zdeno Chara, Torey Krug and Patrice Bergeron for their preseason showdown in China later this month.
* Boston Red Sox took themselves to 98 wins this season, for the first time since 2004, with a win over the Astros
* A 3 run 9th Inning lead the Braves to a win over the Arizona Diamondbacks
* The LA Angles have closed the have closed the game to half a game on the Colorado Rockies thanks to the hitting efforts of Justin Turner.
* As we close in on October, The Yankees and Oakland sit in the wild card spots in the AL, with Milwaukee and St. Louis in the NL spots
* Putting the rest of the League on alert Steph Curry has said he is ready and better than ever.
* Devin Booker, the Pheonix Suns guard, is out indefinitely after undergoing hand surgery.
Spare a moment
Young former Saint Ettiene Defender William Gomis has died at age 19 after being gunned down in France over the weekend.
This weekend saw the British Jigsaw Championships, yes that is a real thing. Tickets for the event sold out… puzzling.
Stat of the weekend
Before Saturday, the last time Spanish Internationals Marcos Alonso and Rodrigo played together was in the League Cup for Bolton Wanderers against York City.
Question Of The Week
What are your thoughts on the Nations League so far?
Send us your stories we have missed, or your answers to the Question of the week in the usual ways. Comment, Email or Tweet us @unlikelydanblog